The clipboard section provides the following functionality:
- Paste: To paste nodes that have been cut or copied.
- Clear All: Clear the entire contents of the graph.
- Copy: To copy selected nodes.
- Cut: Cut selected nodes.
- Delete: Delete selected nodes.
Selecting a portion of your graph and selecting the Copy drop-down will provide the options shown below:
- Copy (as GraphML): this will copy your graph to your system clipboard as an XML based format. This format will include information about the entities and the links between the entities in your selection.
- Copy (as ‘value’ list): this will copy a list of the entities that are currently selected on your graph. The list will only include the value of the entity and does not include any information about the links between entities on your graph.
- Copy (as ‘type#value’ list): this will copy a list of the entities that are currently selected on your graph as well as the entity type. Each item in the list will be in the format ‘type#value’. The list does not include any information about the links between entities on your graph.
- Copy (as ‘type#value#weight’ list): this will copy a list of the entities that are currently selected on your graph as well as the entity type and weight. Each item in the list will be in the format ‘type#value#weight’. The list does not include any information about the links between entities on your graph.
If you choose the last option in the list, To New Graph, you will get another set of options to choose from shown below:
You can decide if you want the sub graph or just the entities that are selected (Copy With Links vs. Copy Without Links). Another option is Copy With Neighbors. This allows you to easily focus on the part of the graph that is interesting – by isolating nodes around the node of interest. There are three sub categories:
Any will select, copy and paste child and parent nodes to a new graph, Children will only select child nodes and Parents will only select parent nodes. The numeric field indicated how many levels should be selected. Let’s assume we want all the parents and children of the IP number selected in the example above. We’ll use Any and the number 1. This will result in a new graph that looks as follows:
Copy from the action bar
From the action bar in the context menu there are also options for copying portions of your graph in different formats. The button on the far left of the action bar (shown below) is a shortcut to copy your current graph selection to a new graph.
The action bar also has options for copying your selection to your system clipboard in different formats, like you can do from the ribbon menu:
Copying from the detail view
The Detail View on the right-hand side of your Maltego client lists information about the entities that are currently in your selection.
You can copy this information out of Maltego as a comma separated list by selecting the entities from the list and then pressing Ctrl + C or right-clicking on them to open the context menu. To select entities from the list you can:
- Click on them individually,
- Hold down Ctrl and click on each entity to select multiple entities one at a time,
- Hold Shift and click to select multiple entities sequentially.
Pasting your selection into a text editor will result in a CSV as shown in the image below: